In Springfield, Missouri, Kristen Feola stir-fries this combination of tender chicken chunks, onions, broccoli, pepper and rice. Seasoned with garlic, ginger and a simple pineapple sauce, the made-in-moments main course includes crunchy chopped peanuts.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red or green pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh broccoli
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped unsalted peanuts
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, red pepper, broccoli, green onions, parsley, garlic, ginger and pepper in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in chicken and rice.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, pineapple juice and soy sauce until smooth; stir into the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in peanuts. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Chicken Medley in Quick Cooking March/April 2004, p65