- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-1/2 cups frozen peas (about 10 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in rice and basil. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-35 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute carrots, onions and raisins until vegetables are lightly browned and carrots are crisp-tender, lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Add peas and salt; heat through. Stir in pecans and rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forVegetable Brown Rice
"Very good!! My husband who continually tells me he doesn't like brown rice liked this a lot. Found the recipe in an old TOH magazine and will now put this on a regular rotation."
"This is phenomenal! Everyone I serve this to comments on how great it is. Nice blend of sweet and salty, crunchy and chewy. I make this often and will continue to do so. Can be made ahead and reheats just like fresh."
"A+!!! the raisens and pecans make it different than what you'd normally find in fried rice blends. easy to make."
"To me it was good, it wasn't great. I liked the fruit and nuts in the rice but nobody else in my family liked it, so I won't make this again."