Vegetable Beef Tostadas
I got this recipe from my mother. In summer, we both prepare this dish often with vegetables from our gardens. Ranch dressing is a tasty topping twist.—JoNee Koehn, Buhl, Idaho
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream or ranch salad dressing
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the onion, zucchini, mushrooms, celery, green pepper and salt. Simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, in another skillet, fry tortillas in oil; drain on paper towels. Place the tortillas on a greased baking sheet. Spoon meat mixture onto the center of each. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350° for 30-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with tomato, sour cream and hot pepper sauce.
Helpful Hint: Unless the label states otherwise, store hot pepper sauce at room temperature for up to 1 year. Although the color may change over time, it'll still pack a punch.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 450 calories, 28g fat (14g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 547mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Vegetable Beef Tostadas in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.