Vegetable Beef Stew
Tasty vegetable chunks add color to this satisfying stew from Bobbie Jo Yokley of Franklin, Kentucky. "I serve it with warm corn bread and a tossed salad for a delicious meal in no time," she informs. Each hearty bowl coasts only 95¢.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef rump roast or bottom round roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4-1/3 cups water, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 small carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef on all sides in oil; drain. Add 4 cups water, onion, celery, carrots, potatoes and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in peas. Bring to a boil. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; add to beef mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 309 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 880mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Vegetable Beef Stew in Quick Cooking January/February 2001
Sep 21, 2017
This did not have a lot of flavor. Needed to add salt and pepper. Not great.
Apr 20, 2012
My family was not impressed.
Oct 10, 2011
I tend to use extra bouillon but have made this many times. It has now become our "go-to" stew.