Vegetable Bean Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) pork and beans
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, basil and dill in oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water, carrots and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the pork and beans, zucchini, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables and barley are tender. Just before serving, stir in tomatoes and vinegar; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 218 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 1003mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 9g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jul 29, 2014
I was thinking this would be a bit better. I thought the barley would make it a hartier soup. I thought the cider at the end left a bitter bite too. I followed the recipe exactly. My only change being that I bought quick barley accidentally. So, I just halved the second cook time. To the individual servings I added croutons and some grated parmesan. That helped with the flavor.
Feb 18, 2011
This was very good!!
Mar 5, 2009
This is my favorite soup recipe. The pork and beans(I've assumed you do not drain them) give it great flavor. This recipe and "Skinny Tortilla Soup" are my fav's. Thank you!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.