Says Ellen Govertsen of Wheaton, Illinois: “This hearty side dish has colorful green snow peas, red pepper and just a hint of lemon to give it a fresh springtime taste. It can be served either warm or cool.”
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh snow peas
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until tender.
- In a small skillet, saute snow peas and red pepper in oil for 2 minutes. Add onions; saute 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove barley from the heat; stir in the lemon juice, lemon peel and vegetable mixture.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 148 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 302mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Barley Pilaf in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008