Vegetable Barley Soup
People always comment on the wonderful flavor and are often surprised to hear that a tough of mint is added to the broth.—Mary Kay Dixson, Decatur, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + simmering
Makes12-14 servings (3-1/4 quarts)
- 1-1/2 quarts beef broth
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, combine all ingredients except the cheese; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours. Top each serving with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 90 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 652mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Vegetable Barley Soup in Taste of Home June/July 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.