"I adapted this great-tasting wholesome salad from another recipe," notes Marge Chapko from Eau Claire, Wisconsin. "I serve it to family , friends and even people who don't like barley#151;and they end up asking for the recipe. I sometimes turn it into a main dish by adding leftover meat."
Recommended: Spring-ish Recipes to Make In April
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup red wine vinaigrette salad dressing
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a salad bowl, combine mushrooms, celery, water chestnuts, green pepper, carrot, onions, garlic, dill, basil and salt; mix well. Add the barley and salad dressing; stir to coat. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Barley Salad in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p18
Reviews forVegetable Barley Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 28, 2010
"I've made this a couple times, and it's gone over well each time. It's unique and healthy!"