- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup red wine vinaigrette salad dressing
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a salad bowl, combine mushrooms, celery, water chestnuts, green pepper, carrot, onions, garlic, dill, basil and salt; mix well. Add the barley and salad dressing; stir to coat. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forVegetable Barley Salad
"I've made this a couple times, and it's gone over well each time. It's unique and healthy!"