Vegetable and Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- Remove and discard skin from chicken; rinse and pat dry. Place chicken pieces in a Dutch oven; add 3-1/2 cups water, dill, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes and parsnips. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables to a large bowl; keep warm. Bring cooking juices to a boil. In a small bowl, combine flour, cream and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 460 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 442mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 42g protein.
Jan 17, 2012
Chicken Stew Recipe was just wonderful.Yes, I would make it again and agan.
Sep 28, 2010
This recipe came together easily and was hearty and satisfying . I thought it needed a bit more salt and pepper though, as the seasoning was a bit bland for my taste.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.