Veal Shank Fricassee
This recipe is from a cookbook my mother gave me in 1944, when I was 14. Inside the front cover, she wrote, "When and if Jean ever gets married." Well, this recipe, along with many others from the same book, has pleased my family for 55 years. -Jean Wright, Clarkston, Washington
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 veal shanks (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and seasonings. Add veal shanks; seal and turn to coat.
- 2. In a Dutch oven or large skillet, brown veal in oil over medium heat. Pour 1-1/4 cups water into pan; add the onion, celery and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. Add carrots and potatoes; cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter and keep warm. Pour drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat and discard bay leaf.
- 4. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and the remaining water until smooth. Gradually stir in the drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and vegetables.
1 each: 703 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 218mg cholesterol, 2578mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 8g fiber), 56g protein.
Nov 6, 2016
This meal was delicious. I would love to see more of your recipes.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC