Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds veal cutlets (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, julienned
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- Place veal in a 13-in. x 9-in. dish; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice, oil, lemon peel, garlic, sugar, salt, paprika, mustard and nutmeg; reserve 2 tablespoons. Pour remaining marinade over veal. Let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Discard marinade from veal. Place flour in a shallow dish; coat veal with flour, shaking off excess. In a large skillet, brown veal slices, two at a time, in 4 tablespoons butter; set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute the onions, red peppers and mushrooms in remaining butter until tender, stirring to loosen browned bits. Stir in broth and reserved marinade; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Add the veal; heat through.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with a veal cutlet or veal for scallopini, not processed veal cube steaks.
1 each: 413 calories, 27g fat (12g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 826mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.Originally published as Veal Cutlet with Red Peppers in Test Kitchen Favorites CookbookRead Next
Mar 20, 2011
I haven't made fresh veal in over 25 yrs so making this dish was a little intimidating. Was I ever pleased. It was easy to make and came out very tender. I made it twice in two months. Am definitely putting this in the KEEP recipe file. Thanks for a super recipe.
Reviews for Veal Cutlet with Red Peppers
More from Taste of Home