- 1-1/2 pounds veal slices (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, julienned
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- Place veal in a 13-in. x 9-in. dish; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice, oil, lemon peel, garlic, sugar, salt, paprika, mustard and nutmeg; reserve 2 tablespoons. Pour remaining marinade over veal. Let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Discard marinade from veal. Place flour in a shallow dish; coat veal with flour, shaking off excess. In a large skillet, brown veal slices, two at a time, in 4 tablespoons butter; set aside. In the same skillet, saute the onions, red peppers and mushrooms in remaining butter until tender, stirring to loosen browned bits. Stir in broth and reserved marinade; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Add the veal; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forVeal Cutlet with Red Peppers
"I haven't made fresh veal in over 25 yrs so making this dish was a little intimidating. Was I ever pleased. It was easy to make and came out very tender. I made it twice in two months. Am definitely putting this in the KEEP recipe file. Thanks for a super recipe."