Vanilla Wafer Fruitcake Recipe
- 1/2 pound candied cherries
- 1/2 pound candied pineapple slices
- 1 pound walnuts, pecans or combination of both
- 1 pound vanilla wafers
- 1/4 pound raisins
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1. Set aside four whole cherries, two pineapple slices and 16 pecan or walnut halves. Chop remaining fruit and nuts. Crush vanilla wafers; combine the chopped fruit, nuts and raisins and set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, beat eggs well. Stir in sugar, salt and milk. Combine wafer/nut mixture with egg mixture. Pack into a waxed paper-lined 10-in. tube pan. Decorate top with reserved whole fruit and nuts. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around edge; turn cake out of pan, then back over again so decorations are on top. Cake can be made ahead and frozen; taste improves with age. Yield: about 40 servings.
1 piece: 183 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Vanilla Wafer Fruitcake
"I have looked for this recipe for years. My mother-in-law cooked this every year for Christmas. i never liked fruitcake until I tried her's and I was hooked after that. No other fruitcake can come close to this one. After her death I was unsure of the amount of milk to add to her recipe. I have tried to make it using what I though was the correct amount, but it was not the same. Her version is a little different from this one, but it taste almost the same. Thank you for bringing my favorite Christmas cake back to me!"