Vanilla Wafer Coconut Cake
This cake recipe, which came from my mother in Alabama, contains no flour—but it's delicious!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 package (12 ounces) vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Whipped cream or ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each until light and fluffy. Add wafers to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in coconut and nuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan with a removable bottom. Bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours, testing after 1 hour. Cool on wire rack 15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely. If desired, garnish with whipped cream or ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 418 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Vanilla Wafer Coconut Cake in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Mar 9, 2012
A DELICIOUS, OLD-FASHIONED TASTING CAKE. WORTH THE EFFORT. I PUT A BASIC DRIZZLE FOR LOOKS.
Mar 20, 2009
This cake looks yummy; I adore anything with coconut and can't wait until Easter to try it; it will be the star of my dinner!