Vanilla Wafer Coconut Cake
This cake recipe, which came from my mother in Alabama, contains no flour—but it's delicious!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 package (12 ounces) vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Whipped cream or ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each until light and fluffy. Add wafers to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in coconut and nuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan with a removable bottom. Bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours, testing after 1 hour. Cool on wire rack 15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely. If desired, garnish with whipped cream or ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 418 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 9, 2012
A DELICIOUS, OLD-FASHIONED TASTING CAKE. WORTH THE EFFORT. I PUT A BASIC DRIZZLE FOR LOOKS.
Mar 20, 2009
This cake looks yummy; I adore anything with coconut and can't wait until Easter to try it; it will be the star of my dinner!