Vanilla Cupcakes with Rhubarb Compote
Not too long ago I took up baking as a hobby and have loved it ever since. The inspiration for these sweet treats came from my love of Twinkies. I added the rhubarb compote to make them a bit more upscale for entertaining. —Julia VanderMolen, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + cooling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 carton (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- STRAWBERRY RHUBARB COMPOTE:
- 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup quartered fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For topping, in a small bowl, mix mascarpone cheese, yogurt and honey. Refrigerate until serving.
- For compote, in a small saucepan, bring rhubarb, sugar, water and ginger to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until rhubarb begins to soften, about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in strawberries; simmer gently until slightly thickened and strawberries are just softened, about 5 minutes. Cool completely.
- Serve cupcakes with topping and compote.