My mom used to make cider for the holidays, so I based my citrusy-vanilla variation on her recipe. I think it hits the spot! The longer the cider simmers, the stronger the flavors will be.—Kristin Weglarz, Bremerton, Washington
Featured In: 40 Homemade Drinks That'll Make You Feel Warm & Cozy
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Apple slices, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine apple cider, brown sugar, orange juice concentrate and salt. Place cinnamon sticks and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with a string. Add to pan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1 hour to allow flavors to blend. Discard spice bag. Stir in vanilla. If desired, serve with orange slices. Yield: 10 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Vanilla Citrus Cider in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2014, p13