- 8 whole peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 4 whole cloves
- 8 individual tea bags
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- Ground allspice
- Place the first five ingredients in a large bowl; with the end of a wooden spoon handle, crush spices until aroma is released. Add the tea bags, honey and boiling water. Cover and steep for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the milk. Strain tea into a heatproof pitcher; stir in milk and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, beat whipping cream and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form. Serve individual servings of tea with whipped cream; garnish with ground allspice. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forVanilla Chai Tea
"Really liked it. I am so happy for the Internet that we can look up these recipes like this one."
"EXCELLENT HOT BEVERAGE. MY FRIEND FROM INDIA SAYS, IT'S PERFECT...MUST USE THE PEPPERCORNS FOR AUTHENTICITY."
"Loved it! I only had ground cardamom on hand so I substituted with 1/4 t. instead of 2 pods."
"Where can I purchase cardamom pods?"
"I had never heard of using peppercorns in Chai before. Maybe that was what I always missed when making mine....anyway, its delicous. Please give it a try. You won't be sorry!!"