Vanilla Butter Cutouts
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 7 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with lightly floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 133 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Dec 15, 2013
I did not like this recipe. It was very hard to roll them out. They kept falling apart. I ended up having to add oil to make the dough stick together and then it was too sticky. I will not be using this recipe again. On a more positive note, they are pretty good tasting if you are willing to put up with rolling them out. I did double the recipe, so I'm not sure if that made a difference. I will definitely be going back to my original sugar cookie recipe.
Dec 22, 2010
Good. Swell up a lot baking. Place further apart on the tray. Remain soft after baking.
Dec 9, 2008
ashley-girl,I have also read that the combiniation of baking soda and cream of tartar act as baking powder. Probably produces a reaction that rises cookie, but also keeps it light and flaky (as cheriwinkle stated).
Dec 9, 2008
ashleygirl-cream of tartar helps to make your cookies light and tender (as it does with biscuits!)
Dec 4, 2008
what does the cream of tarter do for cut out cookies?