Vanilla Butter Cutouts
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 7 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with lightly floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 133 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Dec 15, 2013
I did not like this recipe. It was very hard to roll them out. They kept falling apart. I ended up having to add oil to make the dough stick together and then it was too sticky. I will not be using this recipe again. On a more positive note, they are pretty good tasting if you are willing to put up with rolling them out. I did double the recipe, so I'm not sure if that made a difference. I will definitely be going back to my original sugar cookie recipe.
Dec 22, 2010
Good. Swell up a lot baking. Place further apart on the tray. Remain soft after baking.
Dec 9, 2008
ashley-girl,I have also read that the combiniation of baking soda and cream of tartar act as baking powder. Probably produces a reaction that rises cookie, but also keeps it light and flaky (as cheriwinkle stated).
Dec 9, 2008
ashleygirl-cream of tartar helps to make your cookies light and tender (as it does with biscuits!)
Dec 4, 2008
what does the cream of tarter do for cut out cookies?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.