- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with lightly floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Reviews forVanilla Butter Cutouts
"I did not like this recipe. It was very hard to roll them out. They kept falling apart. I ended up having to add oil to make the dough stick together and then it was too sticky. I will not be using this recipe again. On a more positive note, they are pretty good tasting if you are willing to put up with rolling them out. I did double the recipe, so I'm not sure if that made a difference. I will definitely be going back to my original sugar cookie recipe."
"ashleygirl-cream of tartar helps to make your cookies light and tender (as it does with biscuits!)"
"what does the cream of tarter do for cut out cookies?"