Vanilla Apple Bran Muffins
A hint of vanilla and apple sweetens the flavor of these moist and tender muffins. Tony Flores bakes them up in no time flat for a hearty morning treat in Edinburg, Texas.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2-1/2 cups bran flakes, crushed
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium McIntosh apple, peeled and shredded
- In a large bowl, combine the bran flakes, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, oil, syrup and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apple.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 160 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Apple Bran Muffins in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007