Sink your teeth into handheld pies that take on a menacing persona. Using refrigerated pie pastry speeds up prep so you'll have time to carve your pumpkins, too. If you can't find walnut butter, try using natural peanut butter instead. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup walnut butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- Miniature marshmallows
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry. Using a round 3-in. cutter, cut out seven circles from each sheet. Place 1/2 teaspoon of cream cheese and 1/2 teaspoon walnut butter in the center of each pastry. Brush egg around edges. Fold pastry over; press down around filling to seal. Brush tops with egg.
- Transfer to ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and juice. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is thick and syrupy. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Place cranberries in a blender; cover and process until chopped. Add syrup; process until smooth.
- Cut marshmallows in half diagonally to resemble fangs. When pastries are cool enough to handle, pry open slightly and dip in syrup; add fangs.
Originally published as Vampire Mouths in Ultimate Halloween Bookazine 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.