Valentine Coffee Cake
Your loved ones will enjoy this heart-shaped coffee cake from Summerhill, Pennsylvania editor Dolores Skrout.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling
Makes2 coffee cakes
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped blanched almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Heat milk, water and 4 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°. Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat on medium for 2 minutes. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat on high for 2 minutes. By hand, add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half. Roll each half into a 26-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle over butter. Roll up jelly-roll style form long end; pinch to seal. Place seam side down on greased nonstick baking sheets or baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Shape each roll into heart; seal ends. Cut from outer edge two-thirds through cake every 1 in. and turn each section out. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove immediately from baking sheets to wire racks. Cool completely; remove parchment paper if used. For glaze, cream sugar and butter. Stir in milk and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over hearts.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 180 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Valentine Coffee Cake in Taste of Home February/March 1995