These individual chocolate layer cakes are a sweet way to say "I love you" even when it's not Valentine's Day. Field editor Dixie Terry from Goreville, Illinois shared this recipe.
Recommended: 45 Valentine's Day Desserts for Your Sweetie
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Decorating icing and confetti candies
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Coat an 8-in. square baking dish with cooking spray and dust with flour; add butter.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, milk, butter and vanilla until smooth; set aside. Transfer cake to a work surface. Using a 3- to 3-1/2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter, gently cut out four heart-shaped cakes (set cake scraps aside for another use).
- Place one heart on a serving plate; spread with some frosting. Top with a second cake; frost top and sides. Repeat with remaining cakes and frosting. Decorate with icing and candies. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Valentine Cakes in Taste of Home February/March 2005, p23