Valentine Berries and Cream
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped, divided
- 1-1/2 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- Line a 9-in. heart-shaped or square pan with foil; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Pour into prepared pan, swirling to coat the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides.
- Refrigerate for 1 minute, then swirl the chocolate to reinforce sides of heart or box. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm. Using foil, lift from pan; remove foil and place chocolate heart on a serving plate.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa; add to creamed mixture with milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Gently fold two-thirds of the whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Spoon into heart. Insert star tip #32 into a pastry or plastic bag; fill with the remaining whipped cream. Pipe around the edge of heart. Garnish with strawberries.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 388 calories, 32g fat (19g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 96mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 8, 2012
Love, love this recipe! My family request this every year since 2000. It's not Valentine without it.
Feb 18, 2011
This is the third time I have made this delicious chocolate heart, that My family absolutely loves!!!!
Feb 14, 2010
I just get confused with the whipping cream. Are we supposed to make it like we would for a pie - with vanillia and sugar - or just whip it?!?!? Oh...and 2 pkg's of cream cheese - each pkg contains 8 oz, not 3 oz. Do you use 2 pkgs (8 oz each) or 6 oz? I used 2 pkg's and had excess filling (not that I minded eating it, tho :p).
Feb 14, 2010
Great presentation. I have small springform heart pans that I use to make individual sizes. I've made this many times before, and will make it many times more!
Jan 5, 2010
This was easier than it looks and everyone was amazed by the way it looked and tasted.
Jan 2, 2010
Absolutely beautiful and delicious. I have made this numerous times.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.