Upside-Down Raspberry Cake
This moist cake is great for any occasion. I've received many compliments from family and friends.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- Confectioners' sugar
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9-in. square baking pan with foil; coat with cooking spray. Place 1/2 cup raspberries in pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla until well blended. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the remaining raspberries. Carefully spoon over berries in pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Invert cake onto a serving platter; carefully remove foil. Cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen raspberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 413 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Upside-Down Raspberry Cake in Country February/March 2001