Mt. Pleasant, Michigan's Geraldine Grisdale showcases her state's fine peach crop in these novel muffins. "They make pretty individual servings for breakfast, a snack or even dessert," comments Geraldine.
Recommended: 24 Upside-Down Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 cups sliced peeled ripe peaches
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add shortening, eggs and milk; mix until smooth. In the bottom of 18 greased muffin cups, place 1 teaspoon of butter and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Place in a 375° oven for 5 minutes. Arrange peaches in the muffin cups. fill each half full with batter. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until browned. Turn out of pans immediately. Yield: 18 servings.
Originally published as Upside-Down Peach Muffins in Taste of Home August/September 1994, p17