Upside-Down Orange Biscuits
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10-12 times.
- Roll into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Spread with butter. Combine the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting from the short side. Cut into 12 equal slices. Place, cut side down, in a greased 9-in. round baking pan.
- Combine topping ingredients; pour over biscuits. Bake at 450° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan 5 minutes; invert onto a platter and serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 208 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 29, 2018
These tasted good and turned out well. I had a bit of trouble getting the dough rolled out and 3/4 cup of milk seemed like it wasn't quite enough to get the dough to stick together. Definitely best eaten right away. They got tough overnight but were acceptable after we microwaved them. Nice orange flavour.
Mar 19, 2014
Make sure you put a drip pan underneath these! I ended up with a gooey mess on the bottom of my oven when they bubbled over. Quite a bit of work, but good flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.