VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in 2 tablespoons oil until tender. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, basil and fennel until blended. Add spinach, mushrooms and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Place the remaining flour in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, salt and remaining oil; beat until smooth. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Pour over vegetable mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Upside-Down Meatless Pizza in Country April/May 2002, p51
Reviews forUpside-Down Meatless Pizza
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 26, 2008
"Even the dedicated meat lovers in my family enjoy this meatless version of upside-down pizza."