Upside-Down Meatless Pizza
I experimented with a recipe for upside-down pizza and make it into a meatless dish. It turned out very tasty.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in 2 tablespoons oil until tender. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, basil and fennel until blended. Add spinach, mushrooms and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Place the remaining flour in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, salt and remaining oil; beat until smooth. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Pour over vegetable mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 276 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 639mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Upside-Down Meatless Pizza in Country April/May 2002