- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in 2 tablespoons oil until tender. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, basil and fennel until blended. add the spinach, mushrooms and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Place the remaining flour in a mixing bowl. Add eggs, milk, salt and remaining oil; beat until smooth. Stir in Parmesan. Pour over vegetable mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 425* for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forUpside-Down Meatless Pizza
"Even the dedicated meat lovers in my family enjoy this meatless version of upside-down pizza."