Upside-Down Beef Pie
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 slices process American cheese, halved diagonally
- Green pepper rings, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, celery, onion and green pepper over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in soup and mustard. Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine dry baking mix and water until a soft dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 9-in. circle.
- Place over meat mixture. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Run a knife around edge to loosen biscuit; invert onto a serving platter. Arrange cheese slices in a pinwheel pattern on top. Garnish with green pepper rings if desired.
Apr 18, 2014
I've been making this since the recipe 1st came out. My kids and now grandkids love it. Simple to make but looks fancy. I always make double,lolThese also are always a big hit at teens and kids parties. I usually make this on Halloween along with tortilla chili, chicken cutlet hands and eye ball stuffed shells. I always tell ppl with fussy eaters about this recipe and the kids gobble it down!
Feb 24, 2011
This is such a great idea! I had my doubts as to what it would look like when I flipped it upside down, but it was perfect! I added some of my own seasonings and it was delicious. I definitely will make it again, maybe with other meat mixtures!
Jan 25, 2010
great fast middle of the week recipe