- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 large green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook the beef, green peppers and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the broth, soup, tomatoes and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rice and heat through. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forUnstuffed Pepper Soup
"Very good! I too omitted the mushrooms. I will make again!"
"My family LOVES this soup! We love mushrooms, but I omit them in this recipe. I have also made it with uncooked instant rice and it turned out great! I also use any color peppers."
"Omitted the mushrooms as they are not needed. Added the seasonings I would add when I make stuffed peppers and it was really good. Leftovers are AMAZING since the flavors blended overnight. Keeper."
"I have made this recipes a lot, as I have a garden and tons of peppers. This is a great soup."
"I love stuffed peppers, but when I make them we eat the stuffing and usually leave most of the pepper on the plate! So this soup is perfect--the peppers are much easier to eat when bite-sized. The flavor is amazing, especially in the summer when the veggies are so fresh. I add a teaspoon of garlic powder and either a teaspoon of red pepper flakes or a drained can of rotel tomatoes. I also add 2 cups of frozen corn. And I simmer the soup for an hour. We just had "soup there it is!" day at work, and everyone said it was delicious!"
"Leave the mushrooms out"
"Just finished a bowl of this wonderful soup * It does taste like a stuffed pepper. I cut back on the amount of tomatoes by one can.Love the taste and rough texture that this one offers * I used Sausage instead of ground meat. That is what I had on hand. Did I mention the smell ? Divine. Made it for dinner, ate it for lunch !JanieTaste Of Home Volunteer Field Editor"
"This soup taste just like stuffed peppers, but is much easier to make! It has the perfect amount of flavor. My kids loved it!"
"I made this for a Family get together and every one loved it. It was the first empty pot."