Unstuffed Jalapeno Popper Burgers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4 slices frozen garlic Texas toast
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four oval patties.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, prepare Texas toast according to package directions. In a large skillet, saute onions and red pepper in butter until tender. Spoon onion mixture onto toast slices; top each with a burger, avocado slices and spreadable cheese.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 701 calories, 47g fat (22g saturated fat), 161mg cholesterol, 1099mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 39g protein.
Aug 23, 2011
Fabulous! I boiled the peppers ahead of time because my husband doesn't like heat. He liked the it so much, he asked for the same thing the next night. Easy enough for every day, special enough for company!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.