It's a snap to shape tortillas into umbrellas when you bake them over custard cups. Inside, spinach leaves are combined with ham, cheese and fresh veggies, then drizzled with dressing.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup cubed cheddar cheese
- 3 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 6 sweet red pepper slices(1/4 inch thick)
- 6 pitted ripe olives
- Salad dressing of your choice
- Place six 10-oz. custard cups upside down in a shallow baking pan; set aside. Brush both sides of tortillas with butter; place in a single layer on ungreased baking sheets. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 1 minute. Place a tortilla over each custard cup, pinching sides to form a bowl shape. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until crisp. Remove tortillas from cups; cool. Combine spinach, ham, mushrooms, cheese and onion; place about 1 cup in each tortilla bowl.
- For umbrella handle, cut off a curved end from each red pepper slice; insert straight end into olive. Place in center of salad; arrange salad ingredients to hold handle upright. Serve with dressing.
Editor's Note: 4-in.-diameter foil balls can be used instead of custard cups.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 346 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 934mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Umbrella Salads in Quick Cooking March/April 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.