Ultimate Oreo Caramel Apples
My kids like to give Halloween goodies to the neighborhood trick-or-treaters. These cookie-caramel apples were door prizes for a few lucky ghosts and goblins. —Jennifer Gilbert, Brighton, Michigan
- 6 wooden pop sticks
- 6 small Gala apples
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 20 Oreo cookies, coarsely crushed
- 1 package (10 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1. Insert pop sticks into tops of apples. Place caramels and milk in a small saucepan; heat and stir over medium-low heat 3-5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently. Dip apples in caramel mixture, coating completely. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; let stand until set, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Place crushed cookies in a shallow bowl. In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over hot water, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip apples in chocolate mixture, allowing excess to drip off; dip in cookies, rolling to coat. Return to baking sheet; refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve.
1/2 dipped apple: 329 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 31, 1969
I used semi sweet chocolate, and honeycrisp apples. Such a great twist on the classic treat!
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC