- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (1.4 ounces) sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; add batter.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forUltimate Chocolate Cake
"I tried this yesterday. I didn't like it. The consistency was sort of rubbery. Not very sweet either."
"I made this cake for Easter and I was very happy with the result. It was moist, lovely spongy texture, and not too sweet. I served it with raspberry and vanilla ice cream. I did use 4 eggs instead of the substitute. It did give it an eggy odor so maybe next time I will try the substitute. I'd like to try other flavors using this as a formula to keep calories down."
"What do you put if you don't have applesauce? Help please"
"So tender and yummy! This one is a keeper!"
"Made it for the first time tonight! It is great! I also used 4 eggs instead of the egg substitute. I checked it after 40 minutes and it was done. Very moist!"
"Sorry to be a spoilsport but this cake was very disappointing. I was looking for an enhanced boxcake recipe that was fit for company, I was extreemly disappointed and embarassed. It was dry and slightly chocolately....made as written. If I realized it was a healthy diet cake I would've gone with butter or oil instead of applesauce and added lots more chocolate. If you are watching your fat and sugar and don't care for a dry cake this is it!!!"
"Very moist. I took it to work and it was all gone by noon."