Ultimate Chicken Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Bake: 20 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 onion or kaiser rolls, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 12 tomato slices
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. Pour buttermilk into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cornmeal, paprika, salt, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne. Remove chicken one piece at a time, allowing excess buttermilk to drain off. Discard buttermilk. Coat chicken with cornmeal mixture; place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 8-12 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reaches 170° and coating is lightly browned. Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 372 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 759mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 22, 2017
Sep 13, 2015
Better than the fast food version! Great baked or pan fried.
Aug 29, 2015
Everyone loved them. They are easy to make and easy to clean up afterwards. Nice flavor!
Jan 10, 2015
My family just loves these. They are really easy and quick to make.
Aug 29, 2014
Apr 24, 2012
I have made these several times in years past. I love how tender the buttermilk makes the chicken. I add less cayenne so the kids will eat them and I spray the tops with a bit of cooking spray before baking to make them a little crispier. We love them!
Sep 28, 2010
Tasty sandwich! But I did pan-fry the chicken to give it a nice crispy texture.
Oct 11, 2008
I have made these twice and I seem to get the same result..the breading is not crunchy or crispy at ALL (I am sure its because there is no frying involved) and the flavor is a bit ho-hum. I have even added extra seasonings to it and still..just a plain ol chicken sandwich in my opinion. :(
May 14, 2008
This is one of the best chicken sandwiches I've tried.