"Loaded with mushrooms and cheese, this festive-looking garlic bread is a great party appetizer," remarks Carolyn Hayes from Marion, Illinois. Accompanied by soup or salad, it's hearty enough to serve as a meal."
Recommended: Our Most Gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 unsliced loaf French bread (1 pound)
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained, optional
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cut bread diagonally into 1-1/2-in. slices to within 1/2 in of bottom. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Cut cheese into 1-in. squares. Place one cheese square and one mushroom if desired into each slit. Combine butter and garlic powder; spoon over the bread. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Ultimate Cheese Bread in Quick Cooking March/April 1998, p8