I have such a sweet tooth that I’ve been known to make a dessert just to satisfy my craving. One day when I was in the mood for caramel, I came up with these fun treats. —Clarissa Loyd, Mineral Wells, Texas
Recommended: 18 Thanksgiving Cheesecakes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 medium Red Delicious apples
- 6 wooden pop sticks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, chopped, divided
- 3 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; grease the paper. Wash and thoroughly dry apples. Insert a wooden pop stick into each; place on prepared pan. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water; bring to a boil over medium heat, without stirring, until mixture turns amber. Remove from heat; stir in butter until melted. Gradually add cream, stirring constantly. Return to heat; cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 245°-250° (firm-ball stage). Remove from heat.
- Place 1/4 cup pistachios in a shallow dish. Dip apples into caramel mixture until completely coated; allow excess to drip off. Then dip the bottom of each apple in pistachios. Return to baking sheet; refrigerate 10-15 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt white chocolate; stir until smooth. Transfer to a small heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Drizzle over apples. Repeat with semisweet chocolate. If desired, sprinkle tops with remaining pistachios. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ultimate Caramel Apples in Taste of Home August/September 2006, p27