Ultimate Bacon-Maple French Toast
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Maple syrup
- Grease a 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk the first 10 ingredients. Dip each slice of bread into egg mixture. Arrange slices in prepared dish. Pour remaining egg mixture over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine the first eight topping ingredients. Spread over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Drizzle with syrup.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 612 calories, 36g fat (18g saturated fat), 250mg cholesterol, 694mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Feb 19, 2018
The picture of this recipe caught my eye as I looked through my TOH Holidays & Celebrations cookbook. The combination of sweet and salty appealed to me, so I bookmarked the page to try in the future. I was recently asked to bring a French toast casserole to a potluck brunch, and I remembered this recipe. I am so glad I did because it got rave reviews. It was easy to assemble with the added bonus of being able to prepare a day ahead of baking. Not only is this visually appealing, it is delicious! I like that it isn’t overly sweet. Bacon, nuts, butter, brown sugar - oh my!!!
Dec 29, 2015
Yummy!!! Made this for Christmas Morning Breakfast!... loved it!
Feb 2, 2015
This was a winner for sure. However I made many modifications to reduce the calories. I about fell out of the chair when it said a cup of butter for the topping. I did use fat free milk and half and half. I also used 6 oz of egg substitute and only 2 whole eggs. For more details on where I slashed calories check out my blog. http://www.apinchofluv.com/wordpress/2015/02/01/maple-bacon-french-toast/
Nov 3, 2014
Why hasn't this had more reviews ????? This is award winning !!!!!
May 17, 2012
I made this for mothers day, and my family loved it! They asked me if I would make it again the following week. I woukd try it, its not to sweet. It gets an A+ from me.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.