- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 slices white bread
- 4 slices process American cheese
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Spread desired amount of butter over one side of each slice of whole wheat bread. Spread mayonnaise over one side of each slice of white bread.
- Place whole wheat bread, buttered side down, on a hot griddle. Layer with American and Swiss cheese; top with white bread, mayonnaise side up. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forTwo-Tone Grilled Cheese
"Loved these sandwiches! I did have to substitute cheddar for the swiss because that is what I had on hand. I used 1/2 tablespoon of butter and 1/2 tablespoon of mayo. Will definitely make again."