Two-Tone Butter Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Red and green liquid food coloring
- Red colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well. Divide dough in half; with food coloring, tint half red and half green. Shape each portion into a rough log, then place logs on sheets of parchment.
- Roll dough in paper into an even, smooth 8-in. log, using a ruler to compact log and to squeeze out air as you go. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until slightly firm.
- Cut each log in half lengthwise. Press red and green halves together. Tightly wrap each roll in plastic wrap; freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
- To prepare cookies: Cut into 1/4-in. slices; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 100 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 7, 2020
These came out great. Made them for Christmas and brought them into work. Everyone loved them (and I did leave some at home for me). Have to try different colors next time.
Nov 20, 2013
these are easy and tasty
Dec 23, 2007
do u mean freezing should take place for 6 hours not 6 months?