Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 cups small-curd cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small unpeeled yellow squash, shredded
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, fennel seed, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup mozzarella cheese, cottage or ricotta cheese and eggs. Place half the zucchini in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with half the flour. Top with half the meat sauce and half the cheese mixture. Repeat layers of zucchini, flour, meat sauce and cheese mixture. Combine remaining mozzarella with yellow squash; spoon over cheese mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 286 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 972mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Jul 12, 2009
Excellent use of over abundance of squash. I save zucchini for breads, so I used all yellow squash and it was great. Tasted just like when made with lasagna noodles, minus the extra carbs, which is a plus for my diabetic mom. Thanks for the recipe.