- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 cups (16 ounces) small-curd cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small unpeeled yellow squash, shredded
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce, fennel seed, salt and pepper; set aside. In a small bowl, combine 1 cup mozzarella cheese, cottage or ricotta cheese and eggs. Place half the zucchini in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with half the flour. Top with half the meat sauce and half the cheese mixture. Repeat layers of zucchini, flour, meat sauce and cheese mixture. Combine remaining mozzarella with yellow squash; spoon over cheese mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forTwo-Squash Lasagna
"Excellent use of over abundance of squash. I save zucchini for breads, so I used all yellow squash and it was great. Tasted just like when made with lasagna noodles, minus the extra carbs, which is a plus for my diabetic mom. Thanks for the recipe."