My daughter received this recipe from a friend a while ago. Bacon gives this dish a wonderfully rich flavor, making it a favorite dish to pass at potlucks. - Jean Roper, Palermo, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (31 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (30 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender; remove with a slotted spoon. Transfer bacon and onion to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, cook beef until no longer pink; drain and add to slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until heated through.
When a recipe instructs you to cook diced bacon, cut the bacon with a kitchen shears directly into the skillet. It's faster than chopping with a knife, and there's little mess.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 415 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1068mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 11g fiber), 26g protein.
Feb 19, 2012
Was given a similar recipe years ago - called Calico Beans. I use at least 5 different beans, i.e., black, red, lima, butter, great northern, pinto, etc., thus, the name, "Calico" Beans. It's a great potluck dish.