- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (31 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (30 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, optional
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in the pan. Saute onion in drippings until browned; remove with a slotted spoon to slow cooker. In the same skillet, cook beef until no longer pink; drain and transfer to slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients; mix well. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forTwo-Pot Dinner
"Was given a similar recipe years ago - called Calico Beans. I use at least 5 different beans, i.e., black, red, lima, butter, great northern, pinto, etc., thus, the name, "Calico" Beans. It's a great potluck dish."