My mom used to pack these cookies into our school lunches. They're inexpensive and easy to prepare, so all seven of us children learned to make them. Now they're also a favorite of my two children's.
Recommended: Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats or old-fashioned oats
- 5 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup raisins, chopped nuts or sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large saucepan, heat butter, milk and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the oats, cocoa, raisins, nuts or coconut. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper. Cool. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Two-Minute Cookies in Country Woman November/December 1991, p35