Two-Meat Pizza with Wheat Crust
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water; add oil. Combine the whole wheat flour, sugar and salt; add to yeast mixture and stir until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15-20 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Pat dough onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a greased 14-in. pizza pan.
- Combine pizza sauce and sugar; spread over crust. Sprinkle with mushrooms, onion and olives. Layer with sausage, Canadian bacon and cheese. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 740 calories, 27g fat (10g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1475mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 9g fiber), 37g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 29, 2015
I often make this crust. I divide the dough between two crust because it is very thick. But I like being able to have a good whole wheat crust pizza. I also like to make my own pizza sauce which I use another ToH recipe.
Feb 10, 2009
DELICIOUS! Be sure middle of pizza gets baked all the way through (had to bake more than 30 minutes).