Two-Grain Yeast Rolls Recipe
- 1/2 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- Poppy seeds or sesame seeds, optional
- 1. Place potatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook until tender. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons water. Combine oats and reserved water (mixture will be crumbly). In a bowl, mash the potatoes. Stir in 6 tablespoons butter until blended (potatoes will be very soft). Stir in oat mixture.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the eggs, sugar, salt, 2 cups bread flour and potato mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining bread flour and enough whole wheat flour to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 32 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 24-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Melt remaining butter; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds if desired. Yield: 32 rolls.
1 each: 116 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Two-Grain Yeast Rolls
"I made these in my bread machine. Put liquids in first then dry ingredients - set on dough setting. Definitely a keeper!!"